Sunday, 23 July 2017

Zoella Book Bundle // After The Fire Book (Will Hill) Review


I recently ordered the Zoella Book Bundle (as writing this post is on sale for £34.99 for all 8 books, bargain if you ask me) in an attempt to entertain myself the days following school finishing. I want to get into reviewing again, and why not start with my love of books! I wanted to start this reviewing jazz up with a book I have just finished reading, and absolutely love. Here's After The Fire's blurb:


The things I've seen are burned into me, like scars that refuse to fade.


Father John controls everything inside The Fence. And Father John likes rules. Especially about never talking to Outsiders. Because Father John knows the truth. He knows what is right, and what is wrong. He knows what is coming.



Moonbeam is starting to doubt, though. She's starting to see the lies behind Father John's words. She wants him to be found out.


What if the only way out of the darkness is to light a fire?


Intriguing or what? Without spoiling it, After The Fire explores the complex emotions and feelings after being freed from a alternate way of life. There is certainly an element of dystopia in this novel, which I love (I was getting a little bit of 1984 vibes), and Will Hill sums up the dedication and courage involved for all characters. 

My favourite character, aside from Moonbeam, was Agent Carlyle - a side character but still a great one, I loved his witty comments and reactions to information; which provided some reality to what would have been touching on a abstract book. Favourites aside, all of the characters felt real and living - the only thing I would change are the names, Moonbeam and Star for example, which I feel distance the reader due to the lack of commonality. 

The plot contains several good twists that come as good surprises, and are rather unexpected which I loved. The fact that the novel kept me guessing which created a grip on you, a feeling I love, and the book was divided into two parts; Before and After - which really amplified the suspense. 

Bad things? There isn't much I can say, which is always good! Aside from some of the character's names which I am not a fan of (personal preference), the characters were all very realistic and believable. I felt that the theme trust was ever so slightly overdone - I mean, I am seriously nitpicking here! I felt that the ending was really well crafted - it provided for the thirst the reader wants for Moonbeam to have a good future. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and am really glad that I got to experience it as part of the bundle. It definitely is a new favourite book of mine, and one that I will be rereading over and over! As some topics are quite sensitive, I would recommend this book for older readers, and fans of cult theories and physiology of people following traumatic events. 

Have you read this book? How did I do as a reviewer?

2 comments:

  1. I haven’t read the book but it seems really cool! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really good, Paige! I used to watch Zoella religiously, but don't very often now. Eight new books for that price is certainly very good, though!

    Glad to see you're posting again, I hope your exams went well <3

    Lauren | Sincerely, Lauren Emily

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Feel free to leave a comment, but please be nice! See my full commenting rules here