Sunday, 17 July 2016

Why Work Experience Is A Great Thing


I've just finished a week's worth of work experience at a primary school and I have to say it was one of the best experiences of my life. I know, I know that is a bold statement but I cannot think of another way to explain it.

Before I went to my work experience, I honestly had no idea what I wanted to be. Journalism sounded like a promising idea, although I was also toying with the idea of becoming a teacher. I knew I didn't want to become secondary level, but primary was quite appealing. The thought of setting the foundations of young people's lives, and making a real impact on their childhood sounded like something I really wanted to do, and therefore I applied to a primary school.

I was nervous, but I tried not to let that show! I arrived and immediately I was made welcome which was a massive relief. I was told I would be in with the Reception years (to those who don't know the English grading system, the children were aged between 4-5 years old) which I was really happy about because they are so cute! I was introduced to the children, and being called 'haige' by some children melted my heart aha!

The whole week was great, I learnt so much that I can apply to my everyday life. I read to the children, joined in with their playtime, helped them with their work, and made friends with them. Even in the short time I was there, I could see the impact that I made on individuals which was lovely to see. They were all so sweet, and made me a card for when I left which they all signed.

I was surprised to see how mature they were for children so young. Something I was scared about is experiencing a manic house filled with snotty, crying children but they were all so sweet and friendly I loved every minute.

If you are considering becoming a teacher or a job involving children, I seriously recommend you go to a primary school. I left knowing that primary teaching is something that is something I am seriously going to consider becoming in my later life. It has given me a genuine insight into the world of work as I had responsibility in the school and I wasn't treated like an outsider. It was one of the best weeks in my life and I was sad to leave!

What do you want to become when you are older? 

4 comments:

  1. I also did work experience at a Primary School with the younger years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great post <3

    Lauren | Sincerely, Lauren Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! They are just so cute, aren't they! x

      Delete
  2. I have no idea what I want to do when I am older but it sounds like you had such an amazing time xx
    blossomofhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, I did indeed x

      Delete

Hello! Feel free to leave a comment, but please be nice! See my full commenting rules here