Tuesday, 3 November 2015

How To Do Well In Exams


I know we all went back to school a couple of months ago now, but I thought I would share some tips with you that have helped me revise and do well in the exams I do. Many schools run end of section or module mock exams to see how you are progressing throughout school, so I thought I would write a short tips post just to aid you through the stressful period!

PREPARATION.
Doing well in exams does take a bit of organisation from yourself, as well as your knowledge. Your teacher should tell you in advance when you have a exam coming up, and you should recognise how important it is by the amount of time given to revise for! I like to divide my time up in little sections, and just do 10-15 minutes a night a week before the exam just to refresh my memory. I find that this works really well for me, however this varies from person to person so find a suitable timescale for you.

MAKE NOTES IN CLASS.
The first step to do well in exams is to make notes in your class, so when you come back to revise the topic you have a refresher of the lesson. Many teachers tell you what to write down in your books, but it is always useful to add little bits that you find helpful in your book too. After all your class books are meant to help you learn, so why not make the most of it? I find writing down the bits that are hard to remember or copying diagrams are especially useful as they really make me remember the lesson.

FLASHCARDS.
Flash cards are really useful to me, as I use them as a mini test. I write down the question on one side, and then I write down a few facts or the answer on the other and see if I can recite it back to myself. It is also good to write things down when revising I like to copy down the key facts of each lesson or topic and memorise them - I guarantee they will be somewhere on the test! I also like to use different colours for different subjects or lessons because it makes me feel so much more organised.

VOICE MEMOS.
Something that is quite new to me, but I have found it helpful is to use voice memos. I usually go to BBC Bitesize and search up the topic I want, then record myself reading aloud the text. I then listen to these on my school bus in the morning, and some people find listening to them overnight helps but I haven't tried it yet! I like this method because it saves you from carrying around lots of paper and books - just use your phone!

GET LOTS OF SLEEP THE NIGHT BEFORE.
Make sure you go to bed at a reasonable time the night before your exam, so you wake up in the morning feeling refreshed and ready to tackle it. I usually head to bed about 9:30 on a exam night, so I am tired enough just to fall asleep straight away instead of lying there pondering the questions of the universe ;) This allows me to wake up with a clear head and get on with the exam feeling wide awake.

DON'T PANIC.
At the end of the day, this one exam isn't going to kill you. My teachers tell me you either know it, or you don't and that is the end of the story. If you don't know what to do in the exam, then when the teachers are marking it then they know they need to cover that lesson or topic again to make sure you understand it. Even though you are panicking, I guarantee you that there will be at least a few other people who are in exactly the same position as you so don't worry too much. After all, the more stressed you get the more likely you will make mistakes on the future questions, so if you cannot answer one; keep calm, and carry on!

Have you got any tips on doing well in exams?

4 comments:

  1. These are great tips, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good tips to follow, I needed this reminder haha, thank you! x
    Minae ♥ MinaekeiLatest Blog Post!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Feel free to leave a comment, but please be nice! See my full commenting rules here