Thursday, 3 September 2015

Back To School: Study Tips


Hello everyone, and welcome to my second installment of my back to school series! I have always loved reading some study tips because I am constantly looking for some new ways to revise and learn my coursework to help for exams and assessments, so I thought I would share some of the tried and tested methods I have used to help me revise. I am quite a visual and auditory learner so I prefer to be more hands on than just reading, and I see the same old tips again and again so I wanted to provide you with some tips that are more original!

Listen to classical music while studying.
I think this tip is amazing - it helps me so much! I am not a massive fan of classical music, but I find listening to it while revising is a great way to help me relax and absorb more information from the textbooks and notes I am reading. If you hate classical music so much you wanted to smash it all up (if you do - chill out a bit, but hey!) why not try to search on YouTube relaxing, stress free music and you will find some beautiful pieces. The trick is to not have any lyrics, because then your brain will memorise that instead of the text you're reading!

Build a revision space/corner.
Something that has helped me revise is to build a revison space that I feel comfortable and ready to work in. To make things easier, mine is my desk however you can build yours anywhere that you are allowed to! To make my desk space more adapted to studying, I removed all of my chargers for electronic devices like my iPhone and iPod and put them at the opposite side of the room so they are not within my reach. I kept my laptop on my desk, but when I am studying I set a social media block for the time I want to revise for so I don't get distracted!

Make sure you have everything before you start studying.
One of the reasons I wasn't very good at studying was because I am a terrible procrastinator. If I could think of something to do, I would do it in the middle of my studying period and muck up my schedule! I decided to tackle this by collecting EVERYTHING I needed at the beginning of my study time, and kept my room tidy beforehand so there were no excuses of cleaning or needing something and I had to do some work.

Get a 'study buddy'.
I find that I work better when I have someone to study with because they tend to keep me grounded and make studying so much more fun and supportive! I'm going to ask my two best friends; Sarah and Kate, if they want to be 'study buddies' this year which means we will spend more time together whilst revising for assessments and exams. I would provide lots of snacks that help boost your brainpower like blueberries, chocolate and nuts to keep you both energised as well as providing nice drinks - water is best, but why not experiment with a healthy smoothie or a make your own lime refresher?

I hope these help you - they certainly help me! Have you got any other studying tips?

15 comments:

  1. Lovely tips! Paige if you feel like people aren't gonna vote for you then you're more than welcome to promote yourself on your blog! Also when you can please send me your nominations via google+, email or your comment on my blog :)

    Rukiya XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. The desk is sooooooooooo important and also the study buddy!! I got myself those for next year. I need to finish this year so I can graduate! Yes yes yes!

    Cristina, xo // My Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tips!
    This year is my last of high school, and I'm hoping to finish well, so thank you for these. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome - I am sure you will do well! x

      Delete
  4. These are so helpful! I always listen to classical music while studying as well, it really puts me in the mindset to focus. When studying for finals, I've found what's helpful is concentrating for 25 mins, then taking a 5 min break. After 2 of these, I take a longer 15 min break!

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to do this too - although if I take a longer break I tend to forget about studying, haha!

      Delete
  5. These tips are so helpful, dear! xx Thank you for this!
    ~ Sanjana
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always your tips are super helpful ♥ I'll be sure to use these this year

    xMish Mishs Diary

    ReplyDelete
  7. having a site blocker on my laptop definitely helped me! So often i'd find myself googling a fact and the next minute i'm on twitter! xx
    www.emilyjanewebb.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I usually do my homework via textbooks so I don't use the internet much for school work, but my tabs are usually on Twitter, Instagram etc so a site blocker sounds like a pretty good idea! x

      Delete
  8. If you're looking for some great classical music, I would recommend Dvorak Symphony No. 9 (the second movement is my favorite) :-)

    Emily | Ahem, It's Emme

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Feel free to leave a comment, but please be nice! See my full commenting rules here