Saturday, 8 August 2015

Why The Canon EOS 100D Should Be Your First DSLR


It goes without saying; photography is one of the main parts of blogging. Aside from content and design, I will rarely follow a blog if it doesn't have good, clear photography and I don't think I am alone on this! Back in late November 2014, I purchased my first and current DSLR, the Canon EOS 100D and I have to say I think I am in love. In case some of you readers were considering purchasing your own DSLR, I thought I would give you a little review of mine so you can review your options.

I purchased mine from Currys in part of a deal which included two lenses, a free Velbon tripod and a deluxe Canon camera bag for about £400. At the time, it was the best deal out there but it is worth taking a look around the internet for some other deals or cheaper prices. It was nearing Christmas when I bought my DSLR, and that can dramatically change the price of cameras, but at the time of this post you can buy the camera alone for around £350.
A good point for me is that this is the smallest DSLR that Canon have produced, which means that this is great to carry around, and it is small enough to fit into your handbag etc. This is great if you want some impeccable clarity to your photos but don't want to lug around a massive DSLR and all its lenses. It is also lightweight, which adds to the ease of transportation!

I really like the fact that the shape of it, although small, is really easy to grip and handle without causing any strain on your hands. I carry this around for hours sometimes, and it doesn't feel heavy or awkward to hold.

Finally, I love the fact that even though the DSLR has downsized the quality of the photos certainly hasn't! I read somewhere that the quality is the same as other Canons which are much bigger than the 100D, so that is really important to me.
As with any product, there are bound to be some disadvantages but the Canon EOS 100D has very few in my eyes! A small issue for me is the fact that the battery is small due to the small camera. This isn't a massive downer as I usually take photos in a hour and a half slot, which means that the battery is exactly right for me however for some people, this could be a problem.

Another issue which I don't find a big problem is that if you were using auto-focus while in video mode, the focus is quite loud and annoying! However, if you set the focus yourself then this problem is resolved, even if you do have to check that the subject is in focus every so often.

The last issue I had is the fact that most of the instructions came on a CD, which may suit lazy people like me sometimes, when it comes to instructions I prefer to have a hard copy in my hands. This is personal preference, so for some people this could be a pro!

I personally love this DSLR, and it is a great starter camera for anyone looking into photography. Sure, in a few years I may upgrade but for now I love learning new features and tips to improve my photographs currently. I also hope you enjoyed this style of review, and perhaps you would like to see more?

Do you like the Canon EOS 100D?

8 comments:

  1. I love this post! So good to see the pros and cons too

    CharlotteSamantha // www.charlottesamantha.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it for a great bundle. What kind of lens did you have in the bundle? It was good to see the pros and cons, it looks like a great camera.

    Cristina, xo // My Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my camera, and a I am glad you liked this style of post!

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful! I love the passion in your voice when you write like this. Keep blogging!
    ~ Sanjana
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sanjana! I do love photography, and blogging so I suppose I am going to keep it up!

      Delete
  4. I have a question, which lens do you use, and did it come with the camera? I've been looking into getting a DSLR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the 55mm lens the best and use it most however now I have had the camera for a while I am looking in investing in a 30mm lens to add to my collection and improve product photography. Both lens came with the camera bundle as I said, and it was all in a deal so I don't know if both lenses come with the camera now and if Curry's exists in America!

      It is probably best to head to a few shops who sell DSLR's and see which ones you like holding, picture quality, and suitability for you then start looking for deals online or in store etc. This is what I did and I am really happy with my purchase! Hope you find the camera you are looking for x

      Delete

Hello! Feel free to leave a comment, but please be nice! See my full commenting rules here