Friday, 29 May 2015

What I Have Learnt In 8 Months of Blogging


Although technically this blog was created in April 2014, if you look through my archives I didn't start blogging regularly until October. I have thoroughly enjoyed these past few months writing to you; reading your feedback and discovering your lovely blogs has also added to the whole experience! While running my reader survey, I was thinking about the things I have learnt along my blogging journey; and while I have still got so many new things to learn, I feel that I have come so far. However cliché is sounds, I do think I have bettered myself as a person too.

Everything takes time, and lots of it. When I first started blogging, I was vain enough to think I would get about 100 followers within the first week. When that didn't happen I remember feeling very disappointed and felt like I wasn't good enough and I should just quit. Still, I carried on publishing posts and eventually, I gained a audience (you guys) who I enjoyed writing to on a weekly basis! I think it is important to understand that not everything happens at once, and once you realise that the further you will go; not just in blogging but in life too!

You can't write content that you don't like. For a period of time, I went through a stage of writing about things I really didn't enjoy writing about and didn't have any enthusiasm for the content I was creating. As a result, I lost a ton of readers who obviously knew I wasn't as enthusiastic as I claimed to be; another big disappointment! Since then, I have turned this around and only write content that I am truly proud of and feel my readers will appreciate.

I love designing blogs. I remember my first blog design, the default Watermark template provided by blogger. Not too bad for a girl who had absolutely no idea what she was doing! However, this didn't last long and before I knew it I was spending hours designing a new blog design and finally created something I loved. Blog designing is something I have real enthusiasm for, and I still enjoy designing and developing my skills today!

Photography. Believe it or not, I didn't know anything about photography when I first started blogging. All of my posts were pure writing, and they must have been pretty boring! It was only when I started to follow the bigger blogs who had beautiful photography did I start to consider that it looked fun and something that I could have a go at. If you had told me when I first started blogging that in 3 months I would have a DSLR camera and be taking photos on a daily basis; I would have laughed in your face and politely said goodbye!

Numbers don't matter as much as you think they do. I would never go as far to say numbers don't matter but when I first started out, I was obsessed. I would check my stats about 10 times a day just to see a slight increase in viewers. Thankfully, I am over that now after realising that it doesn't matter how many people are viewing my posts at what time; instead it matters about the readers that are already viewing your blog, and to make sure the content you are writing appeals to them. Of course, if the readers you are attracting are the complete opposite to your target audience, you may want to reconsider your content but I always think the readers come first.

Blogging will change you. I can't even begin to say the amount blogging has changed me. It sounds impossible, but blogging has made me a more confident person; both within myself and talking to others. Perhaps this comes from talking to a complete lot of strangers friends as my audience, but I have to say I wouldn't of had it any different. My interests for hair and beauty have also been activated through blogging, and after seeing lots of pretty styles on blogs I follow it has become something I love doing on a daily basis.

What have you learnt from blogging?

7 comments:

  1. I agree with all of these points!
    Jess x // This Little Wish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sooo much, and I'm with you on everything you noted. (The whole checking the stats' thing was a major problem for me when I began last year too, but, thankfully, like you, I'm over that. Haha) Great post. xx

    Kartonia | Still in My Nightie


    ReplyDelete
  3. As a beginner in the blogging world I appreciate these kind of posts so much! I schades a bit of light on the whole process and helps understand how to put what you like in a form of a blog post and share it with others who are interested in similar topics ;) Thanks for sharing your tips!
    If you'd like you could check out my new blog arabesque - I'd be honored ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really enjoyable, as I could really relate from when I started my first blog ever. :) Now I have a new, custom blog if you would want to check it out! I followed you!
    ~ Sanjana
    www.peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Feel free to leave a comment, but please be nice! See my full commenting rules here