Sunday, 3 May 2015

Blogging Advice


I think it is fair to say, blogging advice has become 'the thing' to blog about. Whether this is because everyone wants to share their knowledge to help others, or whether people know that advice type of posts will be popular amongst their readers, it is almost impossible to scroll through your blog feed and not notice some kind of advice post there.

Before anything else, I'm just going to put my hands up here and say I have probably read and re-read every type of advice post there is out there, from design tutorials to SEO tips - heck, I have even written a few myself! But, I recently realised that although these authors are writing these looking out for the readers best interests they are actually doing the opposite.

I first started thinking about blogging about 5 years ago, however I never actually started a blog until 2014. Back then, blogs were almost like personal diaries, places where people could document their daily lives and many people would be interested. Now they have developed into businesses, jobs and income streams for many people. And, although it is great to see this happen, it leaves lots of people wanting to be in the spotlight and trying to be someone they aren't, buying all of the latest beauty releases just because they think they have to.

Perhaps I am being a bit weird, and rambling on about nothing, but I do think it is sad to see so many people so desperate to be like everyone else that they will do almost anything. I grew up to the belief that everyone is unique and they should treasure that, because it is the one thing that they can truly keep to themselves. With all of the blogging advice posts there are out there, so many people are being shaped into what everyone calls the 'perfect blogger' when in fact, there is no such thing.

From now on, I have made a pact with myself to only publish posts that feel right to me, and something that my readers will enjoy, instead of trying to please the audience that hasn't yet discovered this blog. The readers I am writing for will come along, and will enjoy the words I am writing. And, although I do care about stats, I understand that blogging isn't about how many readers or pageviews you get per post, its about the impact you make on those people who have read and listened (I couldn't think of the right word to use, but that'll do!) to you and bettered their life.

What are your opinions on this? I would love to hear them.

20 comments:

  1. I kind of agree with you - I think blogging advice posts are good, but only to an extent, like they should only be used as a guide to help improve your blog quality. I absolutely love blogs that are unique, and I've realised that I only really read blogs that have something unique and personal about them!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you agree! I was worried people would think I was being stupid!

      Delete
  2. I started my blog back in 2012 (it's three next week) and I didn't know anything about blogging - it's become so much bigger since then! I personally blog about what I love and I love blogs that do the same x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - it's nice to read a blog that is different to everybody elses!

      Delete
  3. Ahh yes, I could not agree with this post more!
    Sometimes I'll write an article which I am totally interested in which doesn't prove popular among my readers and it's easy to let that get you down but heck, at the end of the day, I enjoy it and love it :) You've got to write for yourself and about things you are passionate about... if you try to fake it, people will just see through it. X

    www.farawaylucy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how I used to feel whenever a post didn't become very popular amongst my readers but now I have decided that if I enjoyed writing the post, they hey!

      Delete
  4. I agree with you on this completely. I love design tutorials, simply because they're so helpful, but some - well....they get a little dull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many of the same thing, it is easy to just get bored!

      Delete
  5. i'm definitely guilty of clicking on these kinds of posts but once i start reading i find that they all pretty much say the same things. i think they're kind of just a way for bloggers to try to catch people's attention, not really anything special or meaningful. if you have some new insightful advice then by all means share it, but most aren't like that!

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! You voiced my secret guilty thoughts every time I read a blogging advice post. Whether you should choose to listen to advice depends on your goal: if you want to shine in the blogging world and gain followers, I think the tips could come in handy. But I do find it disappointing how many advice posts try to get us to fit into their little box. Thanks for this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree - I don't think there is such thing as the 'perfect blogger' but somehow media says there is!

      Delete
  7. I completely agree with everything you have here! I try my best to blog for myself and not for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that you do have to take your audience into consideration, but if you don't blog for yourself then you won't enjoy it!

      Delete
  8. I do agree, and its not often I really click on advice posts anymore. They are quite often just the same, and generally the route to 'success' is different for everyone!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - some take months, and some take years to define themselves as a blogger!

      Delete
  9. I've read only a few advice posts myself, but they always make me feel less confident about my own. Ever since I started blogging four years ago, I've been doing it differently. Seeing all these advice posts have made me wonder if I'm doing things wrong. If I should change and do what everyone else says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am getting at - as there are so many advice posts saying how the author got popular, it is almost impossible to say your blog will be exactly the same! It is different for everyone, and advice posts should never put you down.

      Delete
  10. I completely agree with you! I have posted a few myself, and although they seem to get the most views and comments, I don't know how much I am actually offering to the reader. Once in a while I find them extremely helpful, but when I see the same posts all the time, I get bored. I am really trying to post content I actually enjoy as well, and I completely agree with you that the right followers will come along :)

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! Everyone seems to have the same views! My blogging posts are always very popular however I do try to provide some useful content for my readers instead of just repeating the same old stuff they have probably read a million times over!

      Delete

Hello! Feel free to leave a comment, but please be nice! See my full commenting rules here